Monday, November 21, 2016

Blog Post Reflection - Cox Hall

        The Cox Hall blog post was my favorite post to write so far this semester. I liked that I could interview classmates, and that it was about a place we have all been to and experienced. I actually wrote that blog post in Cox Hall, hoping that my feelings on the environment there would show through in my writing. Both interviewing, and going to Cox Hall myself were various styles of research that I used in writing this blog post. Writing my post in Cox Hall also required me to think critically about which details are the most important to include in an ethnography. I felt that I did a good job of incorporating personal anecdotes with factual information about Cox: “Since the dining hall serves everything from tacos to coffee, the cavernous room has a refreshingly unique smell that is inviting and makes my stomach growl”. This sentence is one such example.
       While I really enjoyed how this blog post turned out, there are still a few things that I would change. I used the same sentence structure for the majority of the blog post. If I were to write a revision of this post, I would try to incorporate more of a variety of sentence lengths instead of only using long sentences. “Cox is the perfect place to go with a large group of friends because of the long tables, but might not be the best place to sit and eat your meal if you are there alone like I was”. This sentence can easily be split into two smaller sentences to really accentuate my point.
      Overall, I really enjoyed writing this blog post because it gave me the change to try out writing in a new genre, practice incorporating research into my writing, and thinking critically about which details to add to my blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment