Thursday, September 22, 2016

Importance of Eating Local

To me, eating local means eating food that was grown and produced organically, and close-by, and supporting local businesses. Growing up, I was surrounded by freshly grown fruits and vegetables, but only now do I understand the importance of buying and eating local. On the first Sunday of every month, my hometown hosted a farmer’s market on our main street. I always waited in anticipation for the farmer’s market each month for the fresh strawberries, watermelon, and apples. Initially, the most special part of the farmer’s market was all the fresh food, but over the years of perusing the food at the farmer’s market, my mom taught me another reason why going to the farmer’s market is so important: supporting local businesses. She and I believe that supporting local businesses is important because they provide the freshest, tastiest food, and buying their produce helps them to stay in business.
Now when I go to the farmer’s market, not only am I there to buy fresh produce, I also go to play a small role in my town’s economy. I can be an eye-witness to the growth of small, local businesses, and see how hometown support means everything in the start of a business.

1 comment: